- a dry red wine, esp. red Bordeaux
- purplish redalso claret red
Origin of claretMiddle English from Old French (vin) claret, clear (wine); diminutive of cler, clear
- a. A dry red wine produced in the Bordeaux region of France.b. A similar wine made elsewhere.
- A dark or grayish purplish red to dark purplish pink.
Origin of claretMiddle English light-colored wine from Old French (vin) claret diminutive of clair clear from Latin clārus ; see clear .
(countable and uncountable, plural clarets)
(comparative more claret, superlative most claret)
- Of a deep purplish-red colour, like that of claret.
From Middle English, from Middle French claret.