chump changechump change
Slang an insignificant sum of money
Origin of chump change; from black English
A small amount of money.
- (chiefly US, idiomatic) A sum of money considered to be insignificant.
- He spent $300,000 for his new car, but that's chump change for a billionaire like him.
- (chiefly US, idiomatic) An amount of remuneration, reward, or other monetary recompense considered to be insultingly small.
- If you sell one of those cars, your commission will be chump change.
- I don't work for chump change. I quit!
- See chump change.