- the middle area of the outfield
- the defensive position of the outfielder () who plays there
- The middle third of the outfield, behind second base.
- The position played by the center fielder.
- (baseball) The part of a baseball field which is beyond the infield and straight ahead left if you stand on home plate and face the pitcher.
- (baseball) The defensive position in the outfield in the middle, typically played by a player that can run fast.
- (idiomatic) A central role in some activity that requires speed.
- I'd be happy to play center field on this proposal. I can cover a lot of ground.