cell membranecell membrane
The definition of a cell membrane is a layer of tissue that surrounds a cell.
An example of a cell membrane is the protective layer around a skin cell.
The semipermeable membrane that encloses the cytoplasm of a cell. Also called cytomembrane . Also called plasmalemma . Also called plasma membrane .
- They laid great stress on the nitrogenous nature of protoplasm, and noted that it preceded the formation of the cell-membrane.
- By the segmentation of the fertilized egg, now invested by cell-membrane, the embryo-plant arises.
- The cell-membrane may become modified by the process of lignification, suberization, cuticularization or gelatinization.
- Cell-membrane, &c.: Biitschli, Weitere Ausfuhrungen uber den Bau der Cyanophyceen and Bakterien (Leipzig, 1896); Fischer, Unters.
- The bacterial cell is always clothed by a definite cell-membrane, as was shown by the plasmolysing experiments of Fischer and others.