camera[kam′ər ə, kam′rə]
- The definition of a camera is an electronic device that captures pictures, movies or other visual images either digitally or on film.
An example of a camera is a small electronic device with a lens that you use to take pictures.
A digital camera for photography.
nounpl. cameras, camerae
- a chamber; specif., the private office of a judge
- camera obscura
Origin of camera< camera obscura a device for taking photographs, consisting essentially of a closed box containing a sensitized plate or film on which an image is formed when light enters the box through a lens or hole
- TV that part of the transmitter that consists of a lens and a special cathode-ray tube containing a plate on which the image to be televised is projected for transformation into electrical signals
Origin of cameraClassical Latin camera, vault ; from Classical Greek kamara, vaulted chamber ; from Indo-European base an unverified form kam-, to arch
on (or off) camera☆
- A usually portable device containing a photosensitive surface that records images through a lens.
- A camera obscura.
- pl. cam·er·ae A judge's private chamber.
Origin of cameraLate Latin, room; see chamber.
(plural cameræ or cameras)
- in camera
- camera obscura
- camera ready
From New Latin camera obscura (“dark chamber”), because the first cameras used a pinhole and a dark room; from Latin camera (“chamber or bedchamber”), from Ancient Greek καμάρα (kamara, “anything with an arched cover, a covered carriage or boat, a vaulted chamber, a vault”).
camera - Computer Definition
(1) A stand-alone device that records still or moving images as analog scenes on film or as pixels in digital storage. Movie cameras, which are called "camcorders," also include a microphone for audio capture. The world of photography and movie making has migrated from film (analog) to digital, and all digital cameras can play back the recorded material on a small, built-in LCD screen. See digital camera, point-and-shoot camera, POV camera, DSLR and camcorder.
(2) A back-facing element in a smartphone or tablet that records still and moving images for later viewing.