- The definition of a camera is an electronic device that captures pictures, movies or other visual images either digitally or on film.
An example of a camera is a small electronic device with a lens that you use to take pictures.
A digital camera for photography.
camera definition by Webster's New World
- a chamber; specif., the private office of a judge
- camera obscura
Origin: < camera obscuraa device for taking photographs, consisting essentially of a closed box containing a sensitized plate or film on which an image is formed when light enters the box through a lens or hole
- TV that part of the transmitter that consists of a lens and a special cathode-ray tube containing a plate on which the image to be televised is projected for transformation into electrical signals
Origin: Classical Latin camera, vault ; from Classical Greek kamara, vaulted chamber ; from Indo-European base an unverified form kam-, to arch
camera definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An apparatus for taking photographs, generally consisting of a lightproof enclosure having an aperture with a shuttered lens through which the image of an object is focused and recorded on a photosensitive film, plate, or sensor.
- The part of a television transmitting apparatus that receives the primary image on a light-sensitive cathode-ray tube and transforms it into electrical impulses.
- Camera obscura.
- pl. cam·er·ae A judge's private chamber.
Origin: Late Latin, room; see chamber.
cameraA. film advance lever B. shutter speed dial C. prism D. viewfinder E. rewind lever F. film G. mirror H. diaphragm I. lens
camera - Computer Definition
(1) A stand-alone device that records still or moving images as analog scenes on film or as pixels in digital storage. Movie cameras, which are called "camcorders," also include a microphone for audio capture. The world of photography and movie making has migrated from film (analog) to digital, and all digital cameras can play back the recorded material on a small, built-in LCD screen. See digital camera, point-and-shoot camera, POV camera, DSLR and camcorder.
(2) A back-facing element in a smartphone or tablet that records still and moving images for later viewing.
camera - Medical Definition
noun pl. cam·er·ae
camera - Phrases/Idioms
on (or off) cameraâ