- The definition of a bur is the rough case on a plant that holds seeds or fruit by hooks or teeth.
An example of a plant with burs is ragweed.
- Bur means to remove prickly parts.
An example of bur is to remove the prickly husks from a tumbleweed.
A group of plants with burs.
- the rough, prickly seedcase or fruit of certain plants, as the sticktight, cocklebur, etc.
- a weed or other plant with burs
- anything that clings like a bur
- Dentistry a cutting or drilling bit
- burr & burr
Origin of burMiddle English burre ; from Scand; akin to Danish burre, Swedish borre ; from Indo-European an unverified form bhors-: for base see bristle
- a. A rough prickly husk or covering surrounding the seeds or fruits of plants such as the chestnut or the burdock.b. A plant producing such husks or coverings.
- A persistently clinging or nettlesome person or thing.
- A rough protuberance, especially a burl on a tree.
- Any of various rotary cutting tools designed to be attached to a drill.
Origin of burMiddle English burre, of Scandinavian origin.
From a Scandinavian language, such as Danish burre (“bur, burdock”). See also burr.