The definition of a bur is the rough case on a plant that holds seeds or fruit by hooks or teeth.noun
An example of a plant with burs is ragweed.
Bur means to remove prickly parts.verb
An example of bur is to remove the prickly husks from a tumbleweed.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- the rough, prickly seedcase or fruit of certain plants, as the sticktight, cocklebur, etc.
- a weed or other plant with burs
- anything that clings like a bur
- Dentistry a cutting or drilling bit
- burr & burr
Origin: ME burre < Scand; akin to Dan burre, Swed borre < IE *bhors-: for base see bristle
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A rough prickly husk or covering surrounding the seeds or fruits of plants such as the chestnut or the burdock.b. A plant producing such husks or coverings.
- A persistently clinging or nettlesome person or thing.
- A rough protuberance, especially a burl on a tree.
- Any of various rotary cutting tools designed to be attached to a drill.
Origin: Middle English burre, of Scandinavian origin.
noun & v.
bur - Medical Definition
- A rotary cutting instrument used in dentistry for excavating decay, shaping cavity forms, and reducing tooth structure.
- A drilling tool for enlarging a trephine hole in the cranium.
bur - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.