A woman enjoys breakfast in bed.
- The definition of breakfast is a morning meal, or the first meal of the day.
Eggs and bacon that you eat first thing in the morning for your first meal is an example of breakfast.
Origin of breakfastbreak + fast
verbbreak·fast·ed, break·fast·ing, break·fasts
Origin of breakfastMiddle English brekfast : breken, to break; see break + faste, a fast (from Old Norse fasta, to fast; see past- in Indo-European roots).
- The first meal of the day, usually eaten in the morning.
- You should put more protein in her breakfast so she will grow.
- (by extension) A meal consisting of food normally eaten in the morning, which may typically include eggs, sausages, toast, bacon, etc.
- We serve breakfast all day.
- A meal after fasting, or food in general.
(third-person singular simple present breakfasts, present participle breakfasting, simple past and past participle breakfasted)
- (intransitive) To eat the morning meal.
- To serve breakfast to.
- fast break