- The definition of breakfast is a morning meal, or the first meal of the day.
Eggs and bacon that you eat first thing in the morning for your first meal is an example of breakfast.
A woman enjoys breakfast in bed.
Origin of breakfastbreak + fast
verbbreak·fast·ed, break·fast·ing, break·fasts
Origin of breakfastMiddle English brekfast : breken, to break; see break + faste, a fast (from Old Norse fasta, to fast; see past- in Indo-European roots).
- The first meal of the day, usually eaten in the morning.
- You should put more protein in her breakfast so she will grow.
- (by extension) A meal consisting of food normally eaten in the morning, which may typically include eggs, sausages, toast, bacon, etc.
- We serve breakfast all day.
- A meal after fasting, or food in general.
(third-person singular simple present breakfasts, present participle breakfasting, simple past and past participle breakfasted)
- (intransitive) To eat the morning meal.
- To serve breakfast to.