A woman bowling in a bowling alley.
bowling definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a game in which a heavy ball is bowled along a wooden lane in an attempt to knock over ten large wooden pins that are set upright at the far end
- lawn bowling
- the playing of either of these games
- Cricket the act of throwing the ball to the batsman
bowling definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A game played by rolling a ball down a wooden alley in order to knock down a triangular group of ten pins. Also called tenpins.b. A similar game, such as duckpins or ninepins.
- Lawn bowling.
- The playing of one of these games.