A woman reads by candlelight during a blackout.
- An example of a blackout is an electrical outage in an area.
- An example of a blackout is a loss of memory after an accident.
- the extinguishing of all stage lights to end a play or scene
- a comic stage skit ending with a quick blackout
- an elimination or concealing of all lights that might be visible to an enemy, as during an air raid, at night
- a temporary loss of electricity in an area because of a failure in its generation or transmission
- a temporary loss of consciousness or vision
- a loss of memory of an event or fact
- suppression or concealment, as of news by censorship
- ⌂ the prohibition of the televising of a sports event in the locality where the event takes place, so that attendance will not be reduced
- A cutoff of electric power, especially as a result of a shortage, a mechanical failure, or overuse by consumers.
- The concealment or extinguishment of lights that might be visible to enemy aircraft during an air raid.
- a. The sudden extinguishment of all stage lights in a theater to indicate the passage of time or to mark the end of an act or scene.b. A short, comic vaudeville skit that ends with lights off.
- A temporary loss of memory or consciousness.
- a. A suppression, as of news, by censorship.b. A suppression of the broadcast of an event or program, as to support ticket sales at a local venue.
- A suspension of a discounted price or free offer, as for an airline ticket or a lift ticket at a ski resort.