- The definition of biotechnology is the use of organisms in manufacturing processes to create products or to solve industrial or environmental problems.
- An example of biotechnology is the creation of beer using yeast.
- An example of biotechnology is the use of bacteria in the cleanup of oil spills.
the use of the data and techniques of engineering and technology for the study and solution of problems concerning living organisms
- The use of microorganisms, such as bacteria or yeasts, or biological substances, such as enzymes, to perform specific industrial or manufacturing processes. Applications include the production of certain drugs, synthetic hormones, and bulk foodstuffs as well as the bioconversion of organic waste and the use of genetically altered bacteria in the cleanup of oil spills.
- a. The application of the principles of engineering and technology to the life sciences; bioengineering.b. See ergonomics.
(usually uncountable, plural biotechnologies)