The definition of bilious is something relating to bile or the liver, or someone who has a bad temper.
An example of bilious is liver disease.
- having or resulting from some ailment of the bile or the liver
- afflicted with nausea or vomiting; queasy
- of or like the color of bile: a bilious green
- bad-tempered; cross
Origin of biliousFrench bilieux ; from Classical Latin biliosus ; from bilis, bile
- Of, relating to, or containing bile; biliary.
- a. Characterized by an excess secretion of bile.b. Relating to, characterized by, or experiencing gastric distress caused by a disorder of the liver or gallbladder.c. Appearing as if affected by such a disorder; sickly.
- Resembling bile, especially in color: a bilious green.
- Having a peevish disposition; ill-humored.
(comparative more bilious, superlative most bilious)