- imaginative writings as distinguished from technical and scientific writings, esp. when characterized by a polished, highly literary style and, often, a somewhat dilettantish manner
- essays written in a polished, literary style
Origin of belles-lettresFr, literally , beautiful letters, fine literature
plural nounused with a sing. verb
- Literature regarded for its aesthetic value rather than its didactic or informative content.
- Light, stylish writings, usually on literary or intellectual subjects.
Origin of belles-lettresFrench belles fine lettres letters, literature
- Alternative spelling of belles-lettres.