Bedrock exposed by a glacier.
Unbroken solid rock found at the bottom during an archaeological dig is an example of bedrock.
- solid rock beneath the soil and superficial rock
- a secure foundation
- the very bottom
- basic principles or facts
- The solid rock that underlies loose material, such as soil, sand, clay, or gravel.
- a. The very basis; the foundation: Ownership of land is the bedrock of democracy.b. The lowest point: personal finances that were at bedrock.
(countable and uncountable, plural bedrocks)
In mountainous regions, bedrock can be seen at the surface. However, these occurrences are more properly called outcrops. In construction and engineering, it is often desired to place foundations on bedrock in order to improve the stability of a structure.
- Name of the fictional town in The Flintstones