- solid rock beneath the soil and superficial rock
- a secure foundation
- the very bottom
- basic principles or facts
Bedrock exposed by a glacier.
Unbroken solid rock found at the bottom during an archaeological dig is an example of bedrock.
- The solid rock that underlies loose material, such as soil, sand, clay, or gravel.
- a. The very basis; the foundation: Ownership of land is the bedrock of democracy.b. The lowest point: personal finances that were at bedrock.
(countable and uncountable, plural bedrocks)
In mountainous regions, bedrock can be seen at the surface. However, these occurrences are more properly called outcrops. In construction and engineering, it is often desired to place foundations on bedrock in order to improve the stability of a structure.
- Name of the fictional town in The Flintstones
- If you find an area of your garden where you hit bedrock quickly, it is extremely difficult to improve this depth.
- You want your depth from the top layer to the bedrock to be as deep as possible.
- Camp Cartoon Network: This kids' section features popular cartoon characters in rides such as Spacely's Sproket Rocket, Scooby Doo's Mystery Machine, Yogi's Yahoo River, Rocky Road Rescue Service, and Bedrock Boulder Roller.
- Alapalooza features "Bedrock Anthem", a song that describes The Flintstones in the style of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Give It Away".
- Bedrock - Solid rock, usually too deep down to be found in average yard digging.