- The definition of a banana is a plant grown in tropical regions, or the fruit which it bears.
An example of a banana when it is ripe is a yellow or red piece of fruit that is long and about one inch in diameter and of a slightly bent cylindrical shape.
A half peeled banana.
banana definition by Webster's New World
- any of a genus (Musa) of treelike tropical plants of the banana family, with long, broad leaves and large clusters of edible fruit; esp., any of the various hybrids widely cultivated in the Western Hemisphere
- the long, curved fruit of these plants which usually has a soft, sweet, whitish pulp and a thick, usually yellowish skin
Origin: Spanish and amp; Portuguese ; from native name in western Africa, as in Mande banäna
banana definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of several treelike Asian herbs of the genus Musa, especially M. acuminata, having a terminal crown of large, entire leaves and a hanging cluster of fruits.
- The elongated, edible fruit of these plants, having a thick yellowish to reddish skin and white, aromatic, seedless pulp.
Origin: Portuguese and Spanish, from Wolof, Mandingo, and Fulani.