bait-and-switchbait and switch
bait and switch
- A fraudulent advertising claim or sales offer for a product or service that is not available or not for sale at the stated price, made with the intention of luring customers who are then offered something else or forced to spend more money to get the same thing.
- A deception based on a false claim or enticement that proves to be disappointing.
- Relating to use of bait and switch (offering one attractive exchange initially, but not honoring the offer) in business, politics, and elsewhere.
- An unscrupulous and sometimes illegal sales technique, in which an inexpensive product is advertised to attract prospective customers who are then told by sales personnel that the inexpensive product is unavailable or of poor quality and are instead urged to buy a more expensive product.
- (by extension) Any similar deceptive behavior, especially in politics and romantic relationships.
bait and switch - Computer Definition
bait and switch - Legal Definition