bacchanal definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a worshiper of Bacchus; bacchant or bacchante
- a drunken carouser
- the Bacchanalia
- a dance or song in honor of Bacchus
- a drunken party; orgy
Origin: Classical Latin place devoted to Bacchus
- of Bacchus or his worship; bacchanalian
bacchanal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A participant in the Bacchanalia.
- The Bacchanalia. Often used in the plural.
- A drunken or riotous celebration.
- A reveler.
Of, relating to, or typical of the worship of Bacchus.
Origin: From Latin Bacchānālia, Bacchanalia; see bacchanalia .