- are not
- am not: used occasionally in questions: I'm helping you, aren't I?
The definition of aren't is are not.
An example of aren't is saying two friends will not be attending your party; aren't attending.
- Aren’t as a contraction of “am not” is used most often in the question aren’t I? (= am I not?). In the non-interrogative form, the standard contraction of “I am not” is “I’m not”.
OriginSee also: arent
are + -n’t
- Aren't you getting hungry?
- Why aren't you serving in the army?
- Tell me the truth now, aren't you enjoying the ride?
- "My dear, these aren't toasters," he said and echoed her chuckle.
- Aren't they laughing at me?