- The definition of anodyne is something that eases pain, or something or someone that is relaxing or lacks vigor.
- An example of anodyne is massaging an aching back; an anodyne pain reliever.
- An example of anodyne is a nap in a hammock; an anodyne hammock nap.
- Anodyne is defined as a pain reliever.
An example of an anodyne is ibuprofen.
- relieving or lessening pain; soothing
- lacking zest, vigor, etc.; bland; insipid
Origin of anodyneClassical Latin anodynus ; from Classical Greek an?dynos ; from an-, without + odyn?, pain
- Capable of soothing or eliminating pain.
- Relaxing: anodyne novels about country life.
- A medicine, such as aspirin, that relieves pain.
- A source of soothing comfort.
Origin of anodyneLatin an&omacron;dynus, from Greek an&omacron;dunos, free from pain : an-, without; see a–1 + odun&emacron;, pain; see ed- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more anodyne, superlative most anodyne)
From Latin anōdynus (“painless”), from Ancient Greek ἀνώδυνος (anōdynos, “free from pain”), from ἀν- (an-, “without”) + ὀδύνη (odynē, “pain”).