- American describes a person or thing from the United States of America.
An example of some things that are described as American are apple pie and baseball.
- The definition of American refers to any person or thing related to, or aboriginal to, North or South America.
An example of people that are referred to as American are Inuits.
- The definition of an American is someone who is a natural born or naturalized citizen of the United States.
An example of an American is Abraham Lincoln.
- An American is defined as someone who lives in North or South America.
An example of an American is someone who lives in Brazil.
- of or in America
- ☆ of, in, or characteristic of the U.S. or its people or culture: the American language
- a person born or living in North or South America; specif.,
- Obsolete an American Indian
- a citizen of the U.S.
- ☆ the English language as spoken and written in the U.S.
- Of or relating to the United States of America or its people, language, or culture.
- Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
- Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples.
- Indigenous to North or South America. Used of plants and animals.
- A native or inhabitant of America.
- A citizen of the United States.
- American English.
- An indigenous inhabitant of the Americas; an American Indian. (Now chiefly with qualifying word.) [from 16th c.]
- An inhabitant of the Americas. More often this is specified as either North American, Central American or South American.
- Every American's origin is, historically speaking, by immigration, if scientific speculation that points to a human origin in Asia and a migration to the New World over frozen Bering Strait turns out to be correct.
- Originally, a native or inhabitant of the British North American colonies of European descent; now, a person born in, or a citizen or inhabitant of, the United States of America. [from 17th c.]
- The English language as spoken in the USA; American English.
- 1942, We sat down in the central square and drank coffee and a man came up and spoke to us in American. — Rebecca West, Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Canongate 2006, p. 756)
(comparative more American, superlative most American)
- Of or pertaining to the Americas. More often this is specified as either "North American" or "South American."
- Of, from, or pertaining to the United States of America, its people or its culture.
- Thanksgiving is an American tradition.
- He married an American woman in order to get an American passport.
Sometimes (usually outside of the USA) used pejoratively (see also anti-Americanism).