- American describes a person or thing from the United States of America.
An example of some things that are described as American are apple pie and baseball.
- The definition of American refers to any person or thing related to, or aboriginal to, North or South America.
An example of people that are referred to as American are Inuits.
- The definition of an American is someone who is a natural born or naturalized citizen of the United States.
An example of an American is Abraham Lincoln.
- An American is defined as someone who lives in North or South America.
An example of an American is someone who lives in Brazil.
- of or in America
- ☆ of, in, or characteristic of the U.S. or its people or culture: the American language
- a person born or living in North or South America; specif.,
- Obsolete an American Indian
- a citizen of the U.S.
- ☆ the English language as spoken and written in the U.S.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of or relating to the United States of America or its people, language, or culture.
- Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
- Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples.
- Indigenous to North or South America. Used of plants and animals.
- A native or inhabitant of America.
- A citizen of the United States.
- American English.
- A·merˈi·can·ness noun