- The definition of America is the term most often used to refer to the United States.
- An example of the word America is to refer to the 50 states that make up the United States.
- An example of a country that is part of the Americas is Canada.
America usually refers to the United States of America.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- North America, South America, and the West Indies, considered togetheralso the Americas
- North America
- ☆ the United States of America
Origin: Modern Latin name associated, association (1507) by Martin Waldseemüller (1470?-1522?), German cosmographer, with Americus Vespucius, Latinized form of Amerigo Vespucci, but ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Spanish Amerrique, name of a mountain range inch(es) Nicaragua, used by early explorers for the newly discovered lands ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Amerindian
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The United States.
- also the A·mer·i·cas The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.
america - Ologies & -Isms Definition
America - Cultural Definition
An American patriotic hymn from the nineteenth century, sung to the tune of the national anthem of Great Britain, “God Save the Queen.” It begins, “My country, 'tis of thee.”