- The definition of America is the term most often used to refer to the United States.
- An example of the word America is to refer to the 50 states that make up the United States.
- An example of a country that is part of the Americas is Canada.
America usually refers to the United States of America.
- North America, South America, and the West Indies, considered togetheralso the Americas
- North America
- ☆ the United States of America
Origin of AmericaModern Latin name associated, association (1507) by Martin Waldseemüller (1470?-1522?), German cosmographer, with Americus Vespucius, Latinized form of Amerigo Vespucci, but ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Spanish Amerrique, name of a mountain range in Nicaragua, used by early explorers for the newly discovered lands ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Amerindian
- The United States.
- also the A·mer·i·cas The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.
Americamania an obsession with America and things American. un-Americanism the state or condition of being out of sympathy with or against an ideal of American behavior, attitudes, beliefs, etc. —un-American, n., adj.