- A lawyer who actively seeks out accident victims to encourage them to sue for damages.
- A lawyer who is eager to bring personal injury lawsuits.
(plural ambulance chasers)
- (derogatory) An unethical attorney who solicits business at the scenes of accidents or in hospitals, in exchange for a percentage of the damages that will be recovered in the case.
- (by extension) An attorney who engages in unethical behavior.
- (derogatory) An unethical funeral director or person who engages in the unlicensed sale of preneeds or other services to those who do not yet need them in an attempt to increase business.
The origins of this phrase date from 1897, from newspaper articles about attorneys seeking clients through targeted mail solicitation. “Ambulance chasing" was one of the descriptive phrases employed by the media for this activity. It later became a derogatory term for direct advertising.