A piece of artwork, such as a painting or carving, that is placed above and behind an altar.
- It was the birthplace of the painter Cima da Conegliano, a fine altarpiece by whom is in the cathedral (1492).
- In the Communal Gallery is an altarpiece from the cathedral by the Venetian Jacobello del Fiore (1400-1439).
- The Gothic church of San Niccolo (1310-1352) contains a fine tomb by Tullio Lombardo, and a large altarpiece by Fra Marco Pensabene and others; in the church and adjoining chapter-house are frescoes by Tommaso da Modena (1352), some frescoes by whom (life of S.
- The town has four Evangelical churches, one of which, dedicated to the Holy Ghost, has a valuable altarpiece dating from the 14th century.
- Of the churches, that of Notre-Dame (12th and 14th centuries) is remarkable for the possession of a fine altarpiece of the early 16th century, composed of wooden panels painted by Jean Bellegambe, a native of Douai.