chain of islands extending c. 1,200 mi (1,931 km) southwest from the tip of the Alaska Peninsula: constituting, with the W half of the Alaska Peninsula, a district of Alas.: 15,501 sq mi (40,147 sq km); pop. 8,200
See Aleutian Islands in American Heritage Dictionary 4
A chain of rugged volcanic islands of southwest Alaska curving about 1,931 km (1,200 mi) west from the Alaska Peninsula and separating the Bering Sea from the Pacific Ocean. The islands were explored in 1741 by Vitus Bering, a Danish navigator employed by Russia, and remained under Russian control until Alaska was purchased by the United States in 1867. The islands are the site of U.S. military bases and research stations.