- yea (adverb)
- Informal this; so: often with a gesture indicating size: yay big, yay high
A young boy yells, "yay!"
Yay is defined as an expression of approval, great happiness or excitement.
An example of yay is what you would shout upon winning the lottery.
Informal yea (interjection)
Used as an exclamation of pleasure, approval, elation, or victory.
Origin of yayAlteration of yea
So; by this amount: “The fish was yay big” he said, spreading his arms three feet apart.
Origin of yayProbably from yea 1
- (colloquial) Alternative form of yea (yes).
- (colloquial) An expression of happiness.
- Yay! I have finally finished my work!
- The name of the letter for the y sound in Pitman shorthand.
- (US, slang) Cocaine.
From Spanish llello.
- A branch of the Thai language