The definition of unintelligible is cannot be understood.
An example of something unintelligible is a voice mail message left on a cell phone with a bad connection.
Difficult or impossible to understand or comprehend; incomprehensible: unintelligible remarks; an unintelligible prose passage.
(comparative more unintelligible, superlative most unintelligible)
- not intelligible; unable to be understood
un- +"Ž intelligible
- He grumbled something unintelligible and hung up.
- A cryptographic machine, which changed the cipher automatically and printed a message, entirely unintelligible until translated by a duplicate instrument, was one of the most perfect examples of this.
- Some time after the capture of Jerusalem the ark was brought from Baal-Judah, but at the threshing-floor of Nacon (an unintelligible name) Abinadab's son Uzzah laid hands upon it and was struck down for his impiety.
- The brief statement in the Inquiry, § iv., is of no value, and indeed is almost unintelligible unless taken in reference to the full discussion contained in part ii.
- (d) Many passages which are obscure or wholly unintelligible in the Greek become clear on retranslation into Hebrew.