The definition of unintelligible is cannot be understood.
An example of something unintelligible is a voice mail message left on a cell phone with a bad connection.
Difficult or impossible to understand or comprehend; incomprehensible: unintelligible remarks; an unintelligible prose passage.
(comparative more unintelligible, superlative most unintelligible)
- not intelligible; unable to be understood
un- +"Ž intelligible
- He grumbled something unintelligible and hung up.
- A cryptographic machine, which changed the cipher automatically and printed a message, entirely unintelligible until translated by a duplicate instrument, was one of the most perfect examples of this.
- Some time after the capture of Jerusalem the ark was brought from Baal-Judah, but at the threshing-floor of Nacon (an unintelligible name) Abinadab's son Uzzah laid hands upon it and was struck down for his impiety.
- Even where, as in the Vedas, the sacred books of India, there is proof that the work has been transmitted without change through many centuries, the existence of unintelligible passages and unmetrical verses shows that here too there is work for textual criticism to perform, though in the opinion of most scholars it should be confined to the restoration of such forms as would be unconsciously and inevitably corrupted through changes of pronunciation and the like.
- The brief statement in the Inquiry, § iv., is of no value, and indeed is almost unintelligible unless taken in reference to the full discussion contained in part ii.