Origin of illegiblefrom in- + legible
This writing is illegible.
The definition of illegible is something that can't be read because the handwriting is so bad or because it is otherwise so unclear.
An example of illegible is a scribbled note by a sloppy young child.
Not legible or decipherable.
- il·leg′i·bil′i·ty il·leg′i·ble·ness
(comparative more illegible, superlative most illegible)
- The inscription was partly illegible.
- Always plan to have illegible writing or misspellings on several envelopes.
- Doctors can get away with illegible scrawls but you can't.
- Illegible rebates will often not be processed.
- For those of us cursed with illegible scrawls that we laughingly call handwriting, well, that's what computers were made for.