- a point at which something changes direction
- a point in time when a decisive change occurs
turning pointturning point
The definition of a turning point is a point in time when something happens that causes a shift or an irrevocable change in direction.
An example of a turning point in someone's life is the day a woman finds out she is pregnant.
- The point at which a very significant change occurs; a decisive moment.
- Mathematics A maximum or minimum point on a curve.
- From your beginning skirmishes in Sicily to the turning-point battles in Germany, each mission is more realistic and intense than the last.
- The battle was the turning-point of the age, and with it the succession of the new Chaldean or Babylonian kingdom was assured.
- The wreck of Xerxes expedition is the turning-point in the history of the Persian Empire.
- The turning-point of his career was his separation from his wife, the archduchess Christina of Austria, in 1599, an event followed by his own abdication the same year, in order that he might take orders.
- The turning-point is marked by the legislation of Lycurgus, who effected the unification of the state and instituted that training which was its distinguishing feature and the source of its greatness.