- the first in a series
- a person or animal that starts in a race or game
- a person who gives the signal to start, as in a race
- a person who supervises the departure of commercial trucks, buses, etc.
- any of various devices for initiating motion in an internal-combustion engine; specif., an electric motor briefly activated by the ignition switch and powered by the battery to turn the flywheel
- a device within a fluorescent lamp or other discharge lamp, for initiating high voltage across the electrodes
- a pure culture used to start fermentation of cream, etc.
- the first course of a meal; appetizer
- Baseball a pitcher who starts a game