- in a special manner; particularly
- for a special purpose
Specially is defined as for a special purpose or for a specific person.
An example of something done specially is a custom made scarf.
- Senses 2 and 3 are non-standard; in such cases, especially is far more common, and considered correct.
special +"Ž -ly
(comparative more 'specially, superlative most 'specially)
- Eye dialect spelling of especially.
- Some of these may be specially mentioned.
- This layer he believes specially characteristic of arid dusty regions, while comparatively non-existent in moist climates or where foliage is luxuriant.
- Specially serious damage was done in the immediate neighbourhood of the chapel, but the finely moulded arches and the magnificent tracery of the east window survived in great part.
- This comparison leads to the important conclusion that the wild Bactrian Camelus bactrianus ferus comes much nearer to the fossil species than it does to the domesticated breed, the resemblance being specially noticeable in the absolutely and relatively small size of the last molar.
- "Dear me!" said his father, who was in a specially good humor.