- Dense fog.
Pho is a traditional Vietnamese soup.
- (slang) Thick fog or cloud (also pea soup).
- (US, slang) Nitroglycerin or gelignite, especially when used for safe-cracking.
- (cant) Dope (illicit drug, used for making horses run faster or to change their personality).
- (photography) Processing chemicals into which film is dipped, such as developer.
- (biology) Liquid or gelatinous substrate, especially the mixture of organic compounds that is believe to have played a role in the origin of life on Earth.Primordial soup.
- (UK, informal, often with "the") An unfortunate situation; trouble, problems (a fix, a mess); chaos.
- (surfing) The foamy portion of a wave.
- Having difficulties; in trouble.
- From beginning to end; completely or exhaustively.
- In trouble.
- To increase the power, capacity for speed, etc. of (an engine, etc.).
Origin of soup
- Middle English soupe from Old French of Germanic origin seuə-2 in Indo-European roots Soup up from soup material injected into a horse to make it run faster (influenced by supercharge)
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition