- the skin of a snake, esp. the outer layer that is periodically cast off
- any castoff layer, covering, etc.: often used fig.
- Med. a mass of dead tissue in, or separating from, living tissue or an ulceration
Origin of sloughMiddle English slouh, akin to German schlauch, a skin, bag from Indo-European base an unverified form sleu?-, to glide, slip from source Latvian sl'užât, to slide
- to be shed, cast off, or discarded; come off
- to drop off; become fewer or less
- to shed skin or other covering
- Med. to separate from the surrounding tissue: said of dead tissue
Origin of slough< the n.
- to shed or throw off (slough); get rid of
- Bridge to get rid of (a card); discard