The Faculty Senate.
An example of Senate is an Arizona senator voting on whether or not the minimum wage should be increased.
An example of the Senate is the U.S. Senate.
An example of senate the group of people who gave advice about decisions to the king of Rome.
- The upper house of the US Congress, to which two members are elected from each state by popular vote for a six-year term.
- The upper house in the bicameral legislature of many states in the United States.
- The upper legislative house in Canada, France, and some other countries.
- The supreme council of state of the ancient Roman Republic and later of the Roman Empire.
Origin of senate
- Middle English senat from Old French from Latin senātus from senex sen- old, an elder sen- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition