- having taught oneself through one's own efforts; self-educated
- learned by oneself without instruction
Lilly is a self taught pastry chef with a successful neighborhood bakery and coffee shop.
An example of a self taught pianist is someone who plays the piano well but who never had any formal lessons.
(comparative more self-taught, superlative most self-taught)
self- +"Ž taught
- It concludes with profiles of five major figures in the writing of science and two appendices, one of notes from a science-fiction writing workshop and the other a syllabus for a self-taught course in how to write a science-fiction story.
- It's no secret that a lot of tattoo artists were self-taught at the start of their careers.
- Tommy Hilfiger, a self-taught fashion designer from Elmira, New York, first introduced his innovative line of men's clothing and sportswear in 1985.
- Dr. Spencer was a self-taught engineer with no high school education who worked for a company called Raytheon.
- Silva was essentially a self-taught amateur psychologist with no formal education.