An example of remission is to grant a prisoner a pardon.
An example of remission is being free from previous cancer symptoms.
- Forgiveness or pardon, as of sins or crimes.
- Cancellation of or release from a debt, tax, penalty, etc.
- A lessening or abating, as of heat or cold, pain, etc.
- A relatively prolonged lessening or disappearance of the symptoms of a disease.
Origin of remission
- Middle English from Old French from Latin remissiō remissiōn- from remissus past participle of remittere to let go remit
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition