The old castle was largely rebuilt in the 19th century.
It was destroyed in 796, rebuilt by the crusaders in 1134 (their fortress and chapel remain, much ruined).
The fortress was rebuilt, and after 280 served the Aetolians as a bulwark against Celts and Macedonians.
The principal palace was the Chehel Situn (forty pillars), destroyed by the Afghans in 1723, and, although rebuilt by Nadir Shah in 1731, already in ruins in 1743.
During the revolution of 1885 it was partly burned and was rebuilt on a somewhat larger plan.