- a rank, class, or grade; specif., a classification of military or naval personnel according to specialized skills and training: Quartermaster is a Navy rating
- Brit. an enlisted person in the Navy
- a placement in a certain rank or class
- an expression in horsepower, British thermal units, etc. of the effectiveness or operational limit of an engine, furnace, etc.
- an evaluation of the credit or financial standing of a businessman, firm, etc.
- an amount determined as a rate
- Film a classification, based on content, restricting the age of those who may attend
- a figure, measured by statistical sampling, reflecting the relative size of an audience for a program, time period, etc.
Origin of ratingsee rate