The definition of a philanthropist is someone dedicated to charitable work or activities to serve human kind.
An example of a philanthropist is someone who is always raising money for the poor, sick and wounded.
a person, esp. a wealthy one, who practices philanthropy
From phil- +"Ž -anthrop- +"Ž -ist.
Greek; loving + man: French philanthrope.
- 1883), a philanthropist who devoted himself to work in this part of London.
- 1786), traveller, philanthropist, and by repute, introducer of the umbrella into England.
- His only son, Anthony Ashley, succeeded him as 4th earl, and his great-grandson was the famous philanthropist, the 7th earl.
- Hanford, Beecher: Christian Philosopher, Pulpit Orator, Patriot and Philanthropist (Chicago, 1887); Lyman Abbott and S.
- His disciple Thomas Firmin (1632-1697), mercer and philanthropist, and friend of Tillotson, was weaned to Sabellian views by Stephen Nye (1648-1719), a clergyman.