- a small stone worn smooth and round, as by the action of water
- Geol. such a stone, smaller than a cobblestone, with a maximum diameter of 64 mm (c. 2.5 in)
- clear, transparent quartz or a lens made from it
- a surface grain of pebbly appearance, artificially produced on leather (pebble leather), paper, etc.
Origin of pebbleMiddle English pobble from Old English papol-(stan), popol-(stan), pebble (stone), probably of echoic origin, originally
transitive verb-·bled, -·bling
- to cover with pebbles or objects that look like pebbles
- to stamp (leather, etc.) so as to produce a pebbly appearance