- having no set limits as to duration, direction, amount, number, etc.; broad, unlimited, or unrestricted: an open-ended discussion
- open to change; allowing for modifications as things develop
- designating or of a question allowing for a freely formulated answer rather than one made by a choice from among predetermined answers
The definition of open-ended is no set limits or to be open to change.
An example of open-ended is a meeting agenda item with no specified time limit.
- Not restrained by definite limits, restrictions, or structure.
- Allowing for or adaptable to change.
- Inconclusive or indefinite: “faintly bemused and uneasily open-ended about the whole horrible business” ( Charles Michener )
- Allowing for a spontaneous, unstructured response: an open-ended question.
- unrestricted by definite limits
- There will be an open-ended discussion.
- adaptable to change
- The topic is definitions, but is open-ended really.
- permitting a spontaneous or unstructured response
- I'll ask you an open-ended question.
- (poker) Of a straight draw, made up of four consecutive cards, thus able to be completed by either of two ranks of card.
- The flop of 3-6-Q gave Brunson an open-ended straight draw with his 4-5 of hearts.
- You can also ask an open-ended question that requires the candidate to describe how they responded to an issue on the job to get an idea of the person's resourcefulness and ability to deal with situations calmly and rationally.
- Each book has a series of high-quality reproductions of great works of art, along with background information on each work and the artist together with enough open-ended questions to get a good conversation started.
- Be sure to engage visitors to the fan page in dialogue; post thought provoking, open-ended questions, updates, and simple, interesting statements that support the company, organization or individual's brand image.
- When you strike up a conversation with a person who interests you, try paying that person a sincere compliment, or asking an open-ended question about the other person that's likely to keep the conversation going.
- Although each puzzle is fairly linear (as is the entire game), we owe our thanks to Ubisoft for adhering to this, as a completely open-ended Prince of Persia would be nearly impossible to complete...