olive oilolive oil
a yellow to greenish oil pressed from ripe olives, used in cooking, salad dressings, liniments, soap, etc.
Oil pressed from olives, used in salad dressings, for cooking, as an ingredient in cosmetics, and as an emollient.
(countable and uncountable, plural olive oils)
- Numerous wealthy families reside here, and the town has a trade in olive-oil, silk and velvet.
- Farming, horsebreeding, linen-weaving and the manufacture of olive-oil are the chief local industries.
- Its chief exports are seedless grapes ("currants"), olive-oil, silk and cereals.
- It is the best-built port of the sultanate and is generally second in point of trade, which is carried on mainly with Marseilles, London, Gibraltar and the Canaries, the principal exports being almonds, goat-skins, gums and olive-oil, and the principal imports cotton goods, sugar and tea.
- Trade is in olive-oil, almonds and stone from the neighbouring quarries.