- a woven fabric of fiber, as straw or hemp, for mats, floor covering, wrapping, etc.
- mats collectively
- the making of mats
- the production of a dull surface or finish on metal, glass, etc.
- such a surface or finish
- a mat, or border
Origin of mattingsee matte
- a. Material formed into or considered as a mat: The forest floor had a thick matting of pine needles.b. A coarsely woven fabric used for covering floors and similar purposes.
- The activity of making mats.
- A dull surface or finish.
- The process of dulling a surface, as of metal.
- Present participle of mat.