1743-1826; Am. statesman: 3d president of the U.S. (1801-09): drew up the Declaration of Independence
- (slang, US) A two-dollar bill.
From Jeffrey + -son
- Didn't Thomas Jefferson, author of the Declaration of Independence, believe the Constitution should be rewritten every twenty years so that no one was governed by a document they had no say in creating?
- Of the mouth of the Osage, and a commission selected in 1821 the site of Jefferson City, on which a town was laid out in 1822, the name being adopted in honour of Thomas Jefferson.
- In June 1861 Jefferson City was occupied by Union forces, and in September - October 1864 it was threatened by Confederate troops under General Sterling Price.
- Several biographies and memoirs of Davis have been published, of which the best are: Jefferson Davis, Ex-President of the Confederate States (2 vols., New York, 1890), by his widow; F.
- You are right to quote Jefferson, but you chose the wrong quote.