Origin of jack rabbitjack(ass) + rabbit: so named because of its long ears
jack rabbitjack rabbit
any of several large hares (genus Lepus) of W North America, with long ears and strong hind legs
- Alternative spelling of jackrabbit.
- The pocket-gopher and the jack-rabbit are so numerous as to be great pests.
- For, the "jack-rabbit," see Hare.
- [M.] alleni), the Texan jack-rabbit (L.
- Distantly allied to the prairie-hare or white-tailed jack-rabbit, are several forms distinguished by having a more or less distinct black stripe on the upper surface of the tail.