- a colored liquid used for writing, drawing, etc.
- a sticky, colored paste used in printing; printer's ink
- Slang publicity, esp. in newspapers
- a dark, liquid secretion ejected by cuttlefish, octopuses, and squid to confuse or inhibit a predator
Origin of inkMiddle English enke from Old French enque from Late Latin encaustum from Classical Greek enkauston, purple or red ink from enkaustos, burned in from enkaiein, to burn in from en-, in + kaiein, to burn from Indo-European base an unverified form kai- from source heat
- to cover with ink; spread ink on
- to mark, write, sign, draw, or color with ink: often with in
- Informal to sign one's name to