An example of happen is running into a friend at a coffee shop.
My friend happened by around dinnertime.
It happened that I was in the shower when you called. It happened to snow on the night she was born.
Take an umbrella in case it happens to rain.
Do you happen to have an umbrella?
It happened to rain.
I happened upon an interesting article in the newspaper.
The bus station happens to be close to the museum. I happen to know the answer to that question.
Do you happen to know the time?
I happened to catch the exhibit when I was in New York.
- as a matter of fact; incidentally
- to meet or find by chance
- to be done to or be the fate of; befall
Origin of happen
- Middle English happenen from hap chance hap
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Middle English happenen