- an official mark stamped on British gold and silver articles, originally at Goldsmiths' Hall in London, as a guarantee of genuineness
- any mark or symbol of genuineness or high quality
An example of a hallmark to a successful deli is freshly prepared food.
- A mark indicating quality or excellence.
- a. A mark used in Great Britain to stamp gold, silver, and platinum articles that meet established standards of purity.b. Any of various authorized marks stamped on gold, silver, and platinum articles to indicate where, when, or by whom they were made or assayed.
- A conspicuous feature or characteristic: “The sense of guilt is the hallmark of civilized humanity” ( Theodor Reik )
transitive verbhall·marked, hall·mark·ing, hall·marks
- To stamp (gold and silver articles) with a mark indicating purity.
- To be a conspicuous feature or characteristic of: a legislature hallmarked by inefficiencies.
Origin of hallmarkAfter Goldsmith's Hall in London, England, where gold and silver articles have been appraised and stamped since the 1300s
(third-person singular simple present hallmarks, present participle hallmarking, simple past and past participle hallmarked)
- To provide or stamp with a hallmark.
hallmark - Investment & Finance Definition
A stamped impression on a bar of precious metal that lists the serial number, producer, weight, and purity of metal content.
- One of the company's most definitive men's vintage wrist watches was made in 1928 and features a fine silver, rectangular case with hallmark, as well as a slightly curved shape for maximum comfort on the wrist.
- Built in 1959, one of the most popular and collectible Patek models sports a square case and crown mechanism made from 18 karat gold and bearing the Patek Philippe hallmark, which assures authenticity.
- Hallmark responded by creating their own online collection of ecards, and since Hallmark owns the copyright to the Maxine franchise, the company added an entire collection of those cards dedicated to the endearing and sarcastic character.
- The precise designs of Tommy Hilfiger eyewear and sunglasses can vary widely by retailer and season, but no matter what style an individual chooses, he is sure to find that the hallmark Hilfiger classic style never goes out of fashion.
- Often, the hallmark sign of a mitochondrial disorder that distinguishes it from other diseases with similar symptoms is additional features (such as the above symptoms) that do not normally appear with the non-mitochondrial disease.