- the firing of a gun or guns
- the use of firearms or artillery, as distinguished from other military tactics
(usually uncountable, plural gunfires)
- Shots from a gun or guns, typically creating loud report.
- Let's hide in the trees to avoid the gunfire.
- Sergeant, direct your gunfire toward that copse of trees.
- (chiefly military) The use of gunpowder-type weapons, mainly cannon, as opposed to swords or bayonets.
- Killing people became much easier and faster once armies started using gunfire.
- (military) The time of firing of the morning gun or the evening gun.