- easily frightened at the firing of a gun: a gun-shy dog
- frightened, wary, mistrustful, etc., as because of a previous experience
- An example of gun shy is a dog that hides in the bathtub on 4th of July because of the sound of fireworks.
- An example of gun shy is a woman who carries pepper spray in her hand whenever she walks alone.
The definition of gun shy is a person or animal that is afraid of loud noises or is distrustful.
- Afraid of loud noise, such as that of gunfire.
- Extremely distrustful or wary.
(comparative more gun-shy, superlative most gun-shy)
(comparative more gun shy, superlative most gun shy)
- Alternative spelling of gun-shy.
- This is a great place to think about your personality and this is especially true if you happen to be a bit gun-shy of wearing bright colors to begin with.
- For example, if red is the new black of the season, but you feel a bit gun-shy about wearing such a bright color, then simply buy a pair of red shoes.
- This suit is a particularly great choice for anyone who feels a bit gun-shy about color.
- However, if you are feeling a bit gun-shy, consider your options.