In 1880 the graving dock accommodation consisted of one double dock at the extremity of Dockyard creek, known as Nos.
The town possesses a pier and important dock accommodation, including a graving-dock 600 ft.
There are also ten private graving and floating docks and one public graving dock.
The provision of a new graving dock adjoining the Alexandra was delayed in October 1905 by a subsidence of the ground during its construction.
Parliamentary powers were obtained to construct a graving dock capable of accommodating the largest class of warships.